People who know me well and in person, friends, family, colleagues, my boss, always looked at me in disbelief. “What? There is no Gene of the Week article on Bsx???” They are astonished because Bsx is the gene that has been with me, or- sometimes even more so – has been following me, for several years. Even if originally this wasn’t planned at all, the Bsx gene was holding so many previously unknown functions for me to discover that I ultimately filled most of my doctoral thesis by researching and describing these functions. In other words: I owe my amazing doctor’s hat mostly to the Bsx gene. But let’s start at the beginning.… Read more
- AAVs ACE2 ACE inhibitors Angiotensin Brain Bsx camostat mesylate childhood dementia Coronavirus CRISPR Development Disease Dissertation DNA repair Drosophila enzyme replacement therapy Fly Room Gene Therapy genetic compensation Hamburg Homeobox Homeotic Mutations Hypothalamus Josef Penninger knock-down knock-out Lungs Lysosome Neuroanatomy oligonucleotides Pandemic personalized medicine Pineal Gland pneumocytes recombinant proteins Renin René Descartes SARS-CoV2 SRY Thesis TMPRSS2 Transcription Factor Upf3a Virus Zebrafish
of the Special Prize of the Editor for the best Science Blog in 2019 by “Wissenschaft kommuniziert“
- What the heck is Comirnaty? Or Tozinameran?
- The CLN Genes – When Children get Dementia
- BSX – several years of my life and a thesis at last
- TMPRSS2, the entry point of SARS-CoV2 – Part 2
- ACE2, the entry point of SARS-CoV2 – Part 1
- MYBPC3: Editing the Human Germline
- Dsup: What are water baers doing in space?
- Upf3a, the genetic crisis manager
- Arc – How an ancient virus helps us learn
- p53, how we almost forgot about the guardian of the genome when CRISPRing around